Pages

21 January 2016

Baby Bro-Yo

This little guy.  He's the reason I haven't posted anything about his birth...nor posted any photos of him on Facebook.  He has had a rough time the last 4 months - not anything super rough, but still, not an easy start.

Logan Daniel was born September 10th.  He was 9 pounds 2 ounces.  Thankfully, my doctor decided on my due date, that since L wasn't showing signs of joining us anytime soon, and because of some other minor complications, that a c-section was best.  It took a huge load off my mind.  I didn't realize how worried I was about labor and delivery.  It turned out surgery was a great idea. The doctor said that while my previous incision was healed nicely, it was very thin.  In other words - I most likely would have ruptured if I had a trial of labor and delivery.  Once she said that, I realized my worry was probably not just anxiety, it was the Spirit telling me to be ready for the option of another c-section.  It also made me realize Heavenly Father watches out for me as I grow bodies for these spirits.  He has kept them and me safe.

Here's L's first photo.  I look dead.
I guess we should have known it wouldn't be easy with L after what I went through to have him.  (Note: I know some women go through way more than I did - especially when they have a 'natural' birth.  I mean, I didn't even go into labor - again.  But, this is my experience.)  My spinal hurt like heck. I don't remember it hurting with P. And my legs felt like they weren't numb.  They had that tingly feeling you get when your leg is coming out of falling asleep. I even asked because I sure didn't want them to start cutting early. Once they started, my blood pressure dropped.  Before the anesthesiologist could fix it, I threw up.  Then, after little L was born, I started to feel more than the normal tugging and pressure they warn you of.  After the anesthesiologist confirmed where I felt the pain, she rushed to add drugs to my IV.  B said she had 3 lines going, each with something different. She finally gave me propofol.  I don't remember much - so I guess the drugs worked.  When I got to my room, I couldn't turn my head without getting dizzy, nauseous, and then throwing up. It lasted all day. The nurse said it was the morphine, but after B told me about the propofol, I think it was that. B was great, too. They asked if he wanted to go see the baby get weighed and stuff but he said, "I think she needs me right now".  He stayed and held my hand while I felt getting stitched up.

In a cute toddler voice sing: "Chu-bee Cheeks!"
I was disappointed I wasn't able to feel well enough to care for L that first day.  Since I couldn't move my head, it didn't make holding him much fun. I think I almost threw up on him once...  But he did take to nursing very well, something P struggled with. In fact, L did such a great job, I was in tears each time he nursed. The nurses and lactation ladies all said things looked good and weren't sure why I was in pain. When I left I wasn't sure if I could continue to nurse with the pain.  (We discovered later he had a lip tie that needed to be stretched out before he could nurse properly and stop causing me pain.)






My boys
Around 3 weeks, L wouldn't sleep and started having crying fits at night.  I thought it was normal since P cried way under the normal amount.  It wasn't until B said we needed to ask the doctor about it that I realized there was something possibly wrong with L.  The doctor recommended I try going off dairy.  I held off going no-dairy thinking there was no way that was the problem.  After researching what a dairy sensitivity looked like, I went off dairy.  And L got better....for about 3 weeks....before he got bad again.  That's when I went off soy, grudgingly.  Though I was upset of my diet restrictions (especially during the holidays), I had a blast creating a dairy/soy free Thanksgiving dinner.


This photo is true to life.



L got better, but the no sleeping thing came back 2 weeks later.  That's when I looked into silent reflux.  The doctor agreed after finding L's weight gain slowed way down from his last doctor visit.  Now that L is dairy/soy free and on meds for reflux, he's doing great.  Needless to say, L has kept us super busy as we tried to figure things out.  We have been sleep deprived to an extreme.




It's amazing how happy L is now that he's not in pain.  He is the most smiley baby.  It really makes up for all the crying.  L is growing so fast.  He is already rolling over (and loves to roll to his side to sleep), reaching and grabbing things, and even scoots a little.  Before long he'll have his drivers license and we'll never see him.

Here's P helping L laugh.  L thinks P is just hilarious - no matter what P does.

No comments: