Pages

29 March 2009

The Beach - or should I say The Coast



This weekend Bran and I headed to the beach. Around here everyone calls it the coast. I think that's because it's usually too cold or windy or rainy for there to be much beachfront activity. This weekend proved that theory.

Bran has not stopped talking about the seafood buffet at the casino in Lincoln City since Matt told him about it. We ate so much that we woke up Saturday still feeling full and sick. I will admit I loved the Indian Fry Bread - yum! Newport ended up with a lot of rain Saturday. We were lucky enough to walk around town before the major storm hit. By the time we got to the aquarium, it was pouring and the wind started picking up. Everyone else in town decided it was a great time to get under cover - so there were lots of families there to watch along with the sea creatures. The storm was so bad after the aquarium, we decided to stay in the hotel for the evening. We grabbed a movie and listened to the howling wind. It was so windy that night. I woke up to our bed shaking slightly. I finally realized the shaking happened each time the wind blew. The wind was so strong it was shaking our hotel! That didn't help me fall back asleep. I was wide awake for a while wondering if the wind was going to break apart our hotel. We were on the top floor, which really didn't help calm my fears with all the noises from the roof. I finally had to pray that the wind would settle down enough to allow me to get back to sleep, which it did. Brandon slept through it. And he calls himself a light sleeper...

Bran and I were not happy about having to head home. We both needed the break. The sun started to poke his head out as we were headed back to Lincoln City. We tried to walk on the beach in Newport but it was just too windy and cold. We tried in Lincoln City, but the same thing. After lunch we tried again. The wind seemed to have calmed down enough for a short walk. We didn't really make it to the ocean beaches, but we walked along Siletz Bay. We could see the huge waves coming in from the ocean. It was so gorgeous. Portland was gorgeous too! The sun was shinning and it was almost warm enough to not need a jacket. It made coming back a little easier...

2 comments:

kpurdy said...

Hi Christine, well even with nasty weather it still looks so beautiful out there. We have had snow for the past week still. Hope things are going great for you guys.
Karen Purdy

Laurie said...

Yay, I'm so glad that you have a blog so I can keep up with what's going on with you guys. I wish we could have gone to the coast too...we really miss it. Hope you are doing well!

Laurie